Friday, January 7, 2011

Garden Update!



Dear Blog Readers,

I have received emails from some of you wondering what's happened to the garden. I want to assure you all, that although it is now winter, the community garden is alive and well! Over the summer, we were awarded a grant from the Keep Maryland Beautiful Fund, and have a committee working with Ms. Raevsky's class from The Maryland School for the Deaf to build an arbor and plant native plants in the spring. The groundhog situation was brought under control, which allowed for a very productive growing season!

For those of you who have not heard the announcement, I have stepped down as president due to the fact that I am now working on my PhD. Along with that, I am also pursuing some other projects that will hopefully increase access to fresh, healthy foods for the residents of Frederick. I would also like to give the opportunity for fresh ideas and new leadership as we move into our third growing season. I have no doubt that the next president will be a wonderful asset to the garden and to the city of Frederick.

It's been a tremendous ride, and we could not have made this garden come to fruition so quickly without the support of the community.

We will have an annual interest meeting and elections for outgoing board members in February on a date TBD, so please check back soon! In the meantime please enjoy a few pictures from the summer courtesy of Mary Lou. Only 73 days until the first day of spring!

Cheers,
Karen








No comments:

Post a Comment